Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Permanent Solution....

Add caption

...to a temporary problem.


Every 15 minutes someone in the US takes their own life.  OUCH. That is a pretty stark statistic.  One that makes me cringe.  

Spend 1 minute learning the warning signs.  I posted a link yesterday to warning signs.  Here it is again:  HELP A LOVED ONE or FRIEND.

I personally don't keep a crisis number handy.  Nor do I keep any sort of crisis phone number handy.  I'm not saying that is the way to go.  I'm saying for ME..it wouldn't help.  And if at anytime I thought it would help...I could get the number immediately.  My therapists office is on my speed dial.  I've been a patient long enough at her clinic that I know their phone number.  I've used their after hours (not in several years) and am aware of how their process works.  For me this works.  I often will call my therapist, even if it is after hours or when she is not working, and leave her a message.  Sometimes, that is all it takes.  Something...as little/minor as a 'message check-in' that says "I'm struggling. Things suck. I'm not doing well..." or whatever it might be....that has helped.  It leaves me accountable on some levels.

If you or a loved one is struggling having the following information saved in your phone may prove to be helpful.  My husband is very aware of how to reach the clinic that we go to.  And how to reach my therapist should the need arise.

Save the LIFELINE number, 1-800-273-TALK (8255) in your phone and encourage your friends and family to do the same.  You never know when someone you love may need the number.



No comments: