Friday, August 19, 2011

Wasn't Meant to Be

I worked late last night and had to be back early this am.  Going on less than 5 hours of sleep, I decided to push the envelope a bit and accept an overtime shift this evening. I'm scheduled to work (albiet I'm oncall) for tmw.

Anything after 7-8 pm this evening would be OT and then everything I would be offered tmw would be OT.
It is no secret in my place of employment that, I am not a big overtime person.  I don't want to be forced to work over 40 hrs per week.  It is pretty well known that I will turn down ALL work that is over my initial 13.5 spread bc reality is.....I value my sanity and working long hours isn't always the best for my mental health.  Specially, if I am super tired.  Lack of sleep = increase of anxiety/depression = not a good match.

I sat at work on-call for 6 hours today.  About 30 minutes before I was going to be released to come home and piece of work came in that I could turn down.  I did the math and figured out that I could easily make some easy money and work till 11pm tonight.  So I accepted it...kind of.

Shortly after I accepted the piece of work, while on my way out of the building...down I went.  A$$ over teacup!!  Let's just say....I'm a tad bruised.  And experience tells me that "tmw" always proves to be worse than the first day. 

As I spoke w/my mother she reminded me "_ it wasn't meant to be for you to work that shift.  SOMETHING could/would happen other than you falling....you were not supposed to work that shift".

Sure wish I didn't have to fall in order to learn that lesson!

No comments: